The Fulton County YMCA previously operated facilities in Gloversville and Johnstown. In 2007, it purchased a 68,185 sf building on Harrison Street Extension in the Town of Johnstown. In 2008, it completed a project to renovate the facility into a new YMCA. The two (2) facilities in Gloversville and Johnstown were closed and combined into this new facility.
The interior of the new facility included:
- A six-lane, competition-certified swimming pool.
- Gymnasium/field house for basketball, indoor tennis, indoor field hockey and indoor soccer
- Spaces for child care programs
- Weight training facility
- Aerobics studio
- Exercise equipment
- Cardio-vascular equipment
The exterior of the new facility included:
- New soccer field
- New basketball courts
- Expanded parking
- New front entrance to building
The IDA provided one (1) financial incentive for this project:
- Tax Exempt Financing: The IDA issued $5,450,000 in Civic Facility Revenue Bonds to finance the project.
The term of the financing was for 212 months or 17.7 years.
The YMCA provides important services to the residents of Fulton County. As of December 2019, the YMCA employed 29 full-time and 99 part-time persons. Prior to developing this new facility, the YMCA employed 16 full-time and 41 part-time persons.